Commonly deployed as an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) solution, the OpenStack® open-source cloud operating system controls large pools of compute, storage, and networking resources throughout a data center. The OpenStack Liberty release takes place at a time when production deployments compose half of OpenStack deployments, while hyperscale cloud and network functions virtualization (NFV) are the fastest-growing use case for OpenStack cloud software.
The Cavium™ suite of FastLinQ® Intelligent Ethernet Adapters and Converged Network Adapters (CNAs) interoperate with the OpenStack cloud operating system for networking as well as block, file and object storage. The core networking and storage services provided by Cavium products enable OpenStack users to focus on building scalable applications and services with a robust underlying infrastructure.
For networking connectivity under Neutron, Cavium FastLinQ Performance NICs support a comprehensive list of virtualization and multi-tenant services, including Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) and Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) offloads for the most sophisticated enterprise data centers, as well as private, public, and hybrid cloud deployments. Cavium adapters also support switch independent NIC partitioning (NPAR), Non-Volatile Memory Express over Fabric (NVMe-oF), Universal Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA - RoCE, RoCEv2 and iWARP), Network File System over RDMA (NFSoRDMA), Server Message Block over RDMA (SMB Direct), Storage Spaces Direct (S2D), VMware para-virtualized RDMA (pvRDMA), iSCSI Extensions for RDMA (iSER) plus fully offloaded iSCSI and the highest performance Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) transports in the industry to guarantee peak workload service-level agreements (SLAs) for performance-sensitive applications, with minimal consumption of expensive processing resources.
To simplify the deployment of Cavium adapters in OpenStack environments, administrators can utilize the following helpful resources:
- Interoperability Guides or "cookbooks" of proven solutions configured with Cavium adapters for OpenStack
- Automated configuration scripts to simplify deployment
- The Cavium QConvergeConsole® adapter management suite gives operations staff visibility into relationships between physical interfaces and the virtual services running over them through comprehensive topology mapping adds powerful capabilities alongside the OpenStack dashboard
Cavium solutions are compatible with OpenStack Keystone, Neutron, Nova, Cinder, Glance and Swift services for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) applications. Cavium offers a comprehensive portfolio of 10, 25, 40, 50 and 100Gb Ethernet solutions that take I/O performance to unprecedented levels in OpenStack environments!
Learn More About Cavium Solutions for OpenStack
- Users Guide – OpenStack Deployment with SR-IOV Configuration, Cavium 3400, 8400, and 45000 Series Adapters
- Users Guide – OpenStack Deployment with VXLAN Configuration, Cavium 3400, 8400, and 45000 Series Adapters
- White Paper – Accelerating Network Virtualization Overlays
- White Paper – SR-IOV Improves Server Virtualization Performance
- Technology Brief – Concurrent NIC Partitioning and SR-IOV
- Learn about – QLogic 25Gb Ethernet Technology